Week 33

Hey,

I had my second set of tests in Santry this week and they didn't go as well as I liked so I had a poor start to the week. The testing consisted of 3D tests such as jumping, running and changing direction. I then did the isokinetic testing (basically a hamstring curl and quad extension machine that measures your strength), filled in some questionnaires, met the physio and did some exercises in the gym.

I found the physio to be quite condescending which is a word I wouldn't' use to describe many. He told me that in the space of 7 weeks my hamstring strength didn't improve and that it was concerning. (Everything he said was correct - his delivery needs a little work I think). So basically my right hamstring is 31% weaker than my left according to this test and my left hamstring is nothing to be writing home about either. Quads are flying it, extension has improved to 2 degrees off straight which is good and the rest was fine. The weakness in my hamstrings is laaaarge though so he went through exercises with me to work on over the next number of weeks!
3D Testing 
I wasn't expecting to be told I could return to play but I also wasn't expecting to be told to stop training so I was very disillusioned directly after my testing. I suppose something this journey has taught me is that I'm actually quite good at turning a negative situation into a positive and in the space of a couple of hours I had my short term goals planned and a positive outlook.

It's not necessarily changing my return to play date it's just giving me a chance to really focus on a weakness and to make improvements!

Me as a Stick Man :)
On Sunday I had Camogie training and I explained the results and chatted to the physio, she agreed about hamstrings being my key area of focus but she also reminded me that I've worked so hard over the last number of months to put myself in a position to do some on field sessions so why completely change that! I've trusted her up to this point so why change now.

I have a new gym plan for this block of training and I will be doing some form of hamstring work every day.
Sally :)
              Plan for the week: 
Monday: Conditioning session & Hamstring work
Tuesday: Gym session and cycle
Wednesday: Conditioning session & Hamstring work
Thursday: Gym session
Friday: Conditioning session and Hamstring work
Saturday: Gym
Sunday: Rest

Naomi


Comments

Popular Posts