Week 18


Photo cred: Martin Connolly 
Hey,

A new sense of shookness this week. Got three wisdom teeth out Wednesday afternoon and I've been as unwell since. Ie. Not much progress made with zee knee (but it feels good).

I really pushed my knee on Sunday during a session, and probably did  some drills and movements that I wasn't entirely ready for. It scared me a small bit and my knee was proper sore for two days. As in more sore than it had been in weeks. I went to NUIG on Monday to speak to college students on doing the same Masters I did and I wore heels to give that professional look haha. As mentioned, my knee was really sore and I was fully limping, as in noticeably limping which was not in any way ideal. I made sure to get in a pool session and then a good gym session and pool session Tuesday morning (6.30 am, on the holidays - how sad :)).  The talk on the other hand was more enjoyable than anticipated to be fair! By Tuesday evening the limp was gone again and my knee starting to feel back to normal!

Charlie getting the jobs done early
Post hair cut!
Teeth were coming out Wednesday in Barringtons so had to fast from the night before. That was the finest and the staff in Barringtons were lovely (shout out to Niamh :)). I felt like a pro I knew the whole setup haha! Anybody who read my blog after ACL surgery will be delighted to hear that I was as a high as a kite when I woke up this time and I was laughing my head off :) (ACL was a very very sad state of affairs with the morphine). I couldn't talk but I had no issue with the laughing which was ideal! As soon as I got back to the room I was ready to go home haha! I had to wait to eat and meet the surgeon and I had some terrible difficulties with one eye (it stopped blinking for a while haha), but as soon as I had the bit of ice cream (it dribbled allllllll down my face :)) and met the surgeon, I tipped away home :).

I've been struggling for the last few days with the food which is a terrible state of affairs, and I have an incredible amount of meds to keep me going as per usual. I managed to get in a rehab session with Clare Camogie on Friday and my Reformer Pilates on Saturday but other than that I have not been too well and have not been able to do much. Teeth take more out of you than you think!!

On a different note, I was asked to do two articles this week which really took me out of my comfort zone but sure what harm! I also made a video of of the first 4 months of rehab (due to lack of being able to do anything post teeth removal) The reaction has been really positive and uplifting! People are great!!
http://www.wgpa.ie/i-felt-like-i-had-lost-my-identity-who-am-i-without-sport-clares-naomi-carroll/
https://www.clareecho.ie/omission-from-irish-hockey-squad-was-heartbreaking-for-naomi/

ALSO, massive congratulations to me sister Mel and her fiancé Eoin who got engaged yesterday! He's a saint haha! :) Exciting times for the Carroll's :).



Finally getting close to kneeling! (Still sore)
Achievements of the week:
1. Three wisdom teeth down.
2. A better reaction to the anaesthetic :).
3. I was able to sit back on my heels - Kind of :)
4. Charlie got a haircut and looks as handsome :)

Training Plan for the week:
NB! Rest and get the face right! 
3 x Gym
 - 2 x Machine/Strength days
 - 1 x Free Weight/plyometrics
3 x Running/Plyometrics
1 x Reformer Pilates - Excel Physiotherapy
2 x Cycles
1 x Pool/Recovery session

NB - Need to start training for 125km cycle ASAP!

Naomi








Comments

Popular Posts