Week 11

Week one of 2019 and I'm feeling as positive.

Pre Greenway Cycle
I had my second check up in Santry post surgery this week and overall he's very happy with the progress. My advice to anyone in a similar situation is to go in with your questions written out and to ask for clarification on anything if there's any confusion (learned from experience). We discussed my progress to date in length and where I currently am in my recovery process.

He measured my extension and although it's still about 4 or 5 degrees off straight, he is confident that it will come. The bend however is a different story. I'm currently at 120 degrees which has improved from 90 two months ago. Although it is a big improvement, my right leg is at 145 degrees. My knee is also still pretty stiff and I told him I'm icing a lot after sessions now and that it tends to get warm and swell quite often. He explained to me that it may not come fully back and that I may not be able to fully sit down on my heels in the future but I am adamant that I will sort it. He gave me the all clear to start back jumping and jogging so although disappointed with the bend, I was delighted to get some good news.

I had a physio session the day after Santry so it was good to start practicing my jumping again. My goodness am I poor at the mind. I felt like seven tonnes of potatos trying to get my right leg off the ground doing single leg jumps, but sure look, it's a start. My physio has set me the task of having my right leg jumps as close to my left leg jumps in two weeks. Challenge accepted (Poor start but I shall persevere :)).

The Greenway - Mayo

I mentioned last week that Ged McNamara (S&C coach with Georgian Rugby) had been helping me with my training and rehab while he was home and the work he did with me was excellent. We trained almost everyday over the Christmas period and this has helped massively with my recovery - (walking up and down stairs is still incredibly boring all the same). I've also started using a 'Kneehab' device each evening to help recover that little bit more and I find it very good so far.

I cycled on the road again for the first time last week and I added in a couple of longer cycles before cycling 65km on the Mayo Greenway this week. It was enjoyable to be outdoors properly again, and to not be minding my knee. I found that with the last ten kilometres my knee felt stronger than the first ten and I even bypassed another cyclist (with two fully functioning knees - John :)) with ease on the last incline. It was really enjoyable :)!
Balance Board work

Achievements of the week:
1. First time jogging since the 11th of August :D
2. Cycled 65km, knee felt strong - no pain. 
3. Introduced work on the balance board.
4. Jumping both single and two legged - split lunge jumps, forward and sideways :)

Training Plan for the week:
4 x Jog (Slow pace focus on leg movement not speed)
4 x Cycle - different distances/Inclines
2 x Pool
4/6 x gym lower/upper body
Rehab exercises everyday

Naomi



Comments

Popular Posts