Week 5

Hey,


For anyone who has just started reading this, I tore my cruciate in August of this year and I had my reconstructive surgery using a graft from my hamstring in Santry on the 18th of October. That's now five weeks ago, and fortunately enough it has been a very quick five weeks.

The first two weeks after surgery were tough and long and boring but I'm now so engrossed in my recovery programme that the time is thankfully flying. Starting back to work last week was great  but the levels of tiredness after a normal day of work were too high to be maintained. I used last weekend to really get myself organised for this week to avoid the exhaustion as best as possible and that has helped massively. I love a good to-do list and setting myself goals so I felt the need to write down every small thing that might help. I had my normal things in like my rehab and my cycling but I started to add in other bits like a walk after school or a swim (very enjoyable) and I realised that the busier I made myself, the more productive I was. I had camogie conditioning sessions and physio to add in also and then on the other hand I had all work related little goals to keep me going too.


I decided to work on my use of the stairs this week, and to avoid the hold ups and traffic jams that were created last week (oops). I felt like I was doing a smashing job by Wednesday until after break three students in a row asked if I needed help.. (sad day). I've since mastered it though. As I've mentioned before, anything that helps helps.

I'm starting to look forward to the physio sessions more than I did at the start because, even though my knee is still stiffer than you'd like, I'm progressing each week and it's cool to get a few new exercises to be working awfay at. That being said they are getting a lot harder, engaging an asleep quad muscle is no easy task!... It's tough work and you'd be shook after but it's all good!
Again, I've four new exercises to be working on for the week ahead :). I also mentioned above that I'm back in the pool. I'll be like Michael Phelps in a couple of weeks I'd say, first swim involved stretching in the pool and then a few lengths with a float between my legs. Ideal until you get to the deep end and you've to manoever yourself back! I'll work on that for next week, enjoying being able to do even that though :) Any step is a step in the right direction :).

New exercises:

1. Calf raises.
Heel raises - Big difference between calves
2. Wall sits.
3. Single leg balancing (throwing ball and catching).
4. Single leg balancing (Medicine ball twists)


Achievements of the week:
1. Walking up and down stairs is very good :)
2. ROM improved again (Now making a lovely acute angle).
3. Swimming of some form.
4. Actually bringing my dog (Charlie) walking as opposed to the reverse :)

Naomi 

Comments

Popular Posts