D-Day

Hey,

On the 18th of October I went to Santry for my rescheduled surgery. People asked was I anxious about the surgery, I wasn't, I was more anxious about the surgery being cancelled again than anything else. I flew through admissions since they already had all my details, got through all the paper work and got back in to the gown as I had done previously. After waiting a few hours I was called to go down to the operating theatre and from there the efficiency of the Santry team was second to none. I had a quick chat with the surgeon (Mr Hogan) and anaesthetist pre surgery. I thought it would be a nice point to mention to the anaesthetist how common the ACL injury is becoming, she agreed and said 'it's great, it keeps us in business' (I thought this was a little insensitive and unnecessary). They told me I'd be going to sleep shortly and next thing you know I woke up in the recovery room, perished. My God it was cold haha. I was also extremely disappointed at the fact that the morphine didn't make me in any way high haha. I didn't stay there too long at all before heading back up to the room I was staying in.

I remembered as I got back to the room that I had ordered Fajitas for dinner (fabulous menu in Santry) and was thinking at the time that it might have been a little ambitious. My mom greeted me on arrival, she's a dinger! By the time it came to eating the staff brought me tea and toast, I had a bite, almost vomited and then lay back down. (Great stuff Naomi, fierce shook). Unfortunately, because I struggled with the eating, they couldn't give me more medication, so that was a dose...
1am came around eventually anyway and a lovely nurse came in, turned on the lights and said good morning. I thought that was funny haha, she also brought me a slice of toast and it was fab! I was a new woman post toast and felt way better. The leg (injured) felt very heavy at the time and my next issue was deciding between going to the bathroom or waiting until the morning. I had a good conversation with my friend who's had the same surgery, we weighed up the pros and the cons, and then it was decided between the two of us that the trip to the bathroom (5 steps from my bed) was a necessary one... Two nurses came in and helped me at this point, they were so incredibly nice! Getting out of the bed was a struggle in itself but once I got the two crutches there was no stopping me. On the way out of the bathroom however I got a massive urge to faint (too much too soon haha), I didn't want to say anything or be dramatic so I continued on course (3 steps to the bed) before the nurses realised and helped me back in haha. All was grand again lying down and I eventually headed off to sleep... for about 10 minutes before the snoring began. Now I'm used to snoring, my dad's a terror for it mid movie and the likes but this was something else.... it was also very consistent, and loud. Sleeping was out of the equation at that stage so I posted in my family group (approx 3am, and a had a great discussion with my dad, sister and mother who must have had the same issue :). We'd be known for waking early but most certainly not at 3am for the chats. I had no other choice but to ask for ear plugs when the nurse came in. She laughed at me, I think she found me entertaining, or odd haha :).

The next morning was great, breakfast arrived early (toast, eggs and tea - ideal). I had a great chat with my neighbour who, funnily enough didn't get a wink of sleep (this made me laugh) and next thing I knew it the physio was in. He had me doing exercises straight away and then we tackled the stairs with the crutches, all went well! A nurse came in then to change the bandages and to finish any paperwork and I was free to go! The efficiency was second to none! First steps taken on the road to recovery :)!

Naomi

Comments

  1. Good luck with the recovery Naomi! Muireann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information you have shared, thanks for sharing such great information.
    ACL Reconstruction Surgery in Kalyan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts